The final thing we did after packing up our campsite the next morning was to let the kids try their hands at fishing. I spent most of the time holding the back of Coy's pants so he wouldn't go overboard off the dock. No one else thought this would be a problem if he fell in. Someone could just jump in and get him. Oh, yeah, sure. It would likely be me and I wasn't going to swim in that muck.
We had poles, but the only bait we owned were cold hot dogs. Before we packed up our campsite Addie decided she would take care of the bait situation and dug up a handful of worms. What a kid.
Just when I had enough of patrolling the Coy boy so he could stay dry I mentioned to Shyler maybe it was time to call it a day and head home. We hadn't caught a fish, which the kids were just dying to do, but as in all fishing it is mostly slow going. In that instant of my resignation Shyler reeled in a little Perch and said, "Hey, look what I've got. " The kids were ecstatic and each had to touch the little fish and get a good look before Dr. Dad performed a small surgery to remove the hook in its mouth and throw it back in the pond. Emery actually volunteered to throw it back. My daughters are not squeamish around slimy things.
Aren't those the cutest skinny bums ever? We could see fish swimming down below, it just took awhile to get one on a hook. I think they even saw a few turtles at the bottom of the pond, too.
Here's the dad showing the boy to take his shoes off before he enters the tent.
Addie only cleans when she wants to and it is typically outdoors.
This guy loves the outdoors. I think he has a strong future in the scouting program.
Despite Coy's obvious unhappy expression, we had a grand feast out in the woods. You can't go wrong with a weenie on a stick to be followed by char coaled marshmallows. That's how I like them anyway. A little carcinogen does a body good. Shyler purchased some PVC pipe at Home Depot before we left so we could shoot marshmallow guns while camping. I think we all loved this part the best. Coy even got the hang of blowing the little mallows through his gun when he wasn't devouring them. We hid behind trees and formed alliances and gained up on the innocent. I love the way Shyler makes me laugh. I don't love it when he does it to me while I'm pregnant thus resulting in some serious incontinence. I had to keep crossing my legs during the war so as not to wet myself. He insisted on a picture. I thought he wanted something cool with my gun...no he wanted to document my crossed legs and discomfort. Meany.
2 comments:
That looks like fun. My daughter has been begging us to go camping- we really need to. And the crossing leg pictur is pretty funny.
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love the idea of the marshmellow guns we might have to copy that!
Post a Comment