"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Minnesota in June

 During April General Conference I received the distinct impression it was time to return home to Minnesota.  I was there briefly a year and half ago for my grandfather's funeral, but it had been a number of years since the kids and Shyler had visited my home roots.  My youngest sister was set to graduate from high school at the beginning of June and it sounded like every one of  my 8 siblings would be home except for me.  This rarely bothers me.  It is just the circumstances of our young family and the effects of being married to an orthopedic resident.  But because my impression was so strong while listening to the prophet and apostles of God I mentioned my inclinations to the hub.  I was met with no resistance on his part as well as a very positive and happy countenance toward the entire idea.  He sure knows how to make me love him more doesn't he?  We pulled the girls out the last day and half of school.  The best part was our trip plans were unknown to my parents and siblings.  We told a few friends before we left in case something unthinkable happened in Iowa. 
The kids were all buckled snugly into their seats during the entire trip.  It seems quite curious then that this picture was taken of me in the front passenger seat. Hmmm...Let me mention our camera is not a smallish, easy to operate, point and shoot.  You have to actually put your hand on the lens and adjust it.   Should I be nervous a certain someone took pictures while at the wheel? 

Another picture taken by Mr. Handsome while driving our family of 6+ through Wisconsin! Sometimes he forgets his antics might affect more than just him.  By the way, notice D-man's expression here.  You'd think he spotted something incredible in the sky.  Nope.  The blank stare/open mouth combo often occurs while watching movies.

And another...taking pictures while behind the wheel.

And another!  He managed to get Coy who sits right behind the driver seat!  Grrrrr. My husband might think because he drove the streets in Argentina for 2 yrs. that American roads and traffic are cake.  I remind him of this often. He then says, "But I haven't been in any accidents."

We pulled off at a rest stop near the border of Wisconsin/Minnesota that happened to have a slide. Oh thank you Wisconsin for having a slide! 



I was a bit glad to be out of the car for a moment, too.

Shyler thought this was a "Wisconsin" plaque of some sort.  When we discovered it wasn't we took a picture of the kids anyway. Here's to WWI.

Ahh...a very exciting moment for the kiddos once they spotted this.  When you see the sign Gma and Gpa's house must be right down the road. 2 &1/2 hours later from this point their house is down the road.

Driver shooting.

Mr. Handsome took these while NOT driving. The boys are likely fast asleep because they had nothing to fear.   Dad was done doing crazy camera tricks behind the wheel. 

Nothing like a little snooze with sippy cup in tow and a Wendy's hamburger resting on your lap.

5 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I am excited to hear about the rest of your trip! That is wonderful you were all able to go back and be together as a family. I want to go back to MN sometime...I just don't know when. I've been toying with the idea of going this summer, but I don't think that will happen. Super cute kids Britt! Don't you love it when they sleep in the van?!

Nick and Libby said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get away and visit with family, and that you survived with such a distracted driver (sorry Shyler)!

Angell said...

Great pictures! Especially the ones taken behind the wheel! Your husband is quite talented! :)

Colin Bennett said...

I'm so glad you guys were there! That was such a fun weekend to have everyone together again.

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

Looks like you survived the road trip!! Thank goodness for a DVD player,