"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Merry Christmas to you from us!





Many of Shyler’s weekends were given to broken arms, legs, hips, shoulders, knees, feet, ankles, hands, elbows, and fingers during 2009. Did I miss any of the major parts of the skeletal system honey?
Emery’s art work was submitted by the PTA for the District wide art show for a second year. We didn’t believe her until the proof came home on a school letterhead.
Really fantastic friends. 2009 was a year for deepening relationships with friends. They’re our family away from family. We started liking some of our friends so much we convinced my sister to marry one of their brothers. It seems she is going through with it. WARNING: If you have a significant role in initializing the courting for the happy couple you also contractually agree to heavily participate in the wedding details. She recently mailed color samples for her wedding to me. The finalizing of wedding colors sits right below “set temple date” on the list of to-dos for the 2010 bride.
Roy Candall, as my family so lovingly nicknamed Coy, started walking a few days ago in time for Christmas. Christ heals our hearts, causes the blind to see, and the lame to walk. How fitting that Coy should celebrate the birth of Christ by having enough faith to let go of the couch and get to the Christmas tree on two legs.
Youth filled Sundays. Shyler and I spent 2009 working with the youth of our ward. They are great kids and it has been a valuable experience to witness their spiritual growth firsthand. We could have done without texting during class, incessant chit-chatting and goofy remarks to serious questions. Did I mention they are great?


Coy turned 1 year in 2009. We were just happy we kept him alive for 12 months since he nary made a peep. We were often guessing when he needed to eat.
Home. 2009 featured much more time at home for our family since Shyler’s work schedule was hectic. I’ve decided I prefer it this way. We’re happiest when we’re home and together. Everything else pales in comparison. Life is lovelier when we’re not running around with our heads cut-off like the chickens Shyler knew as a boy.
Rapid firing tongue. Dashle’s vocabulary made great leaps during 2009. He went from saying, “Ado” which translated as “thank-you” at the beginning of the year to now saying things like, “I am disinclined to acquiesce your request. That means no.” Well, not quite, but he has said some cute things as of late like: “Mom, don’t shut my door anymore, okay?” As well as, “It’s not bedtime! It’s toys time!” And let’s not forget, “Can I help you do the laundry mom?” Also, “That’s pretty awesome dad!” And as he left Primary on Sunday (he was visiting) he proclaimed, “See you guys later!”
Icing on the cake…or donut. We started a new tradition during 2009: No more cake for birthdays. Emery kicked us off on her 7th birthday last May when she asked for a donut with a candle in it. I was most grateful. No more ¾ birthday cake sitting in our fridge for a month uneaten. Addie has been mentioning she would like a cake for her 6th birthday in January. She apparently didn’t get the memo.
Sewing became more favorable to me during 2009. I only profess to sew straight lines, but it is enough to recover decorative pillows, chairs, make baby towels, blankets, and window coverings that I actually like.
Training on the royal throne for Prince Beefy (Dashle). Check back next Christmas to see if it worked.
Maine for me and Mr. Handsome. We took a week long getaway to the nation’s farthest northeast in August. It was blissful and convinced us to make many future returns.
Addie taught herself how to read months before kindergarten. She is very humble about it given her response to the information we try to provide, “I already know that!”
Shyler started a little side business in our garage. He makes corn holes via the requests of fellow coworkers who are aggressive Buckeye fans. If you don’t know what corn holes are I would suggest Google. A Buckeye is a nut…literally and figuratively.

Our greatest quest this season has been to help our children focus on the Savior more and a little less on the gifts they become increasingly excited about as the calendar moves toward the 25th.

I love what King Benjamin says in Mosiah 3 of The Book of Mormon:

5 For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent,who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and
curing all manner of diseases.

8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator
of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

9 And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name;


That salvation is made possible through Him is our greatest treasure...our most supreme gift. May you feel the peace and joy only the Savior can provide this Christmas season. We love and cherish each and every one of you. We are grateful for your continued love and support as we steer through this obstacle course called life.

Much love,

The DeMill Family

*Shyler, Britt, Emery (7), Addie (5), Dashle (2), Coy (1)*

15 comments:

Krissy said...

Really, really great, Britt! What a cute family! :)

Becca said...

loved. Loved. LOVED!!!! your Christmas card! SOOO much fun to read! Britt-the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...it made me reminisce about all the fun Randall Bennett Christmas cards throughout the years! Sure love ya! Merry Christmas!!!

Emmy said...

Great letter! Love how you made it. Looks like it was a great year.

Dave and Julie said...

So much fun! You guys have had a BLAST this year! I didn't know about the corn hole business! We'll have to keep that in mind. Ours is on its last leg! :)

We sure miss you guys!

Dahlene said...

Thanks Britt. That is a great way to save your precious time addressing those darned envelopes and then putting an ever-increasing pricey stamp on it too. It was darling. Your whole family is darling. I'm so glad we have you as friends. May your 2010 be even more successful and happy, though I'm not sure it could get better than that! Merry Christmas!

Diane said...

What a fantastic Christmas letter and beautiful photo of the kids. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

benandtheshannon said...

As always very cute to hear about you and all you adventures. You have such a cute fam. Hope all is well. Merry Christmas

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with lots of time with Shyler! Several days ago I was thinking about "Christmas Sunday" at Marshall Branch...how I miss that meeting! It's a part of Christmas that I am sad to miss out on, but such is life. We are potty training the girls the first of Feb...hope all goes smoothly and quickly with Dashle!

Amy said...

Thanks Britt for posting such a lovely letter. Wish we still lived by you and I could watch you raise your kids--I could learn a lot. You are a wonderful example. Darling family!
Love,
Amy Benson

Courtney said...

Loved the recap. And great idea. I myself have skipped the cards this year. Your kids are too cute. Hope you guys have wonderful Christmas.

Nick and Libby said...

Merry Christmas to a wonderful family!

Chris and Michelle said...

Merry Christmas, DeMill's!
What a cute card and what a cute fam to go with it! Your posts always make me smile Britt!
Have a wonderful 2010!

Love
The Hansens

stuckibunchoh said...

Loved the virtual Christmas card! That is a great idea. We may have to adopt it some time soon. We hope that you guys had a great Christmas and bring in the New Year with a blast! We miss you and love to hear from you.
Love, The Stucki's

erin said...

That's right. Your big sis (getting larger by the minute) is making her first comment. I hate to tell Shyler this but Roy Candall looks like he's going to sprout red hair at any moment. Maybe it was just the lighting or maybe it wasn't;)

AnnMarie said...

Finally, some one who knows about corn hole! N-U-T-S is right! We hope you had a great Christmas and that the potty training is still going well :o) Love those cute kids!