"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Friday, September 11, 2009

What flag will you fly?




Do you remember what you were doing or where you were on
September 11, 2001?

I do.

I was newly pregnant with our first, Emery. Shyler had just left for his early morning class on campus at BYU and I flipped on the morning news while loading up my backpack. I needed something to keep my mind off of how yucky the pregnancy was making me feel. The first of the Trade Towers had been hit when I tuned in and as I watched the second plane crashed into the other tower. I was shocked. I wanted to cry. How could I go to class at a time like this?

I went to class anyway. It was one for my major...secondary education. My professor used the events of the morning as the topic for teaching. We discussed ways we would calm our students once we were real teachers.

I'm not a full-time educator in a public school system.

Perhaps this excludes me from being a real teacher.

The other night at the dinner table Shyler asked Emery about her day at school. Addie goes every other day to kindergarten.
It was her day "off" from school.

Addie lamented, "It's not fair. I didn't go to school today."

I replied, "Sure you did! You attended mom's school today."

Addie looked confused.

She said, "Where is mom's school?"

Shyler replied, "Right here at
home and it is the best school!"


Today I will teach my children about September 11, 2001.

Today I will tell them about how great this country really is.

Today I am flying the American flag.

Today I will remember that although September 11,2001 was a horribly tragic event it was a wake-up call for our country. We cannot stand idly by.

This past 4th of July we were 1 of 4 homes flying the American flag in our ENTIRE neighborhood.

I haven't seen many flags flying today, either.

A few weeks after the 4th of July I looked out our back window at a residence that was still fairly new. The occupants had hung a flag. I was relieved someone else was flying the American flag. At least, from where I was standing that is what it looked to be. A few days later on a walk with the kids and able to catch a closer look I was disappointed to find it was not the American flag. It was an Ohio State flag.

There are probably more Ohio State flags flying today than American flags.


I am understanding more each day that I don't have to teach the neighbor's children to make my degree count for something.

My children need to know about patriotism.

Addie has been reciting the 11th Article of Faith lately:

“We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.”

This freedom is available to each of us in this country. I hope we will not forsake what God has given us. We must be actively involved. We must not become complacent in our patriotism. After September 11th I saw a lot of bumper stickers and signs in windows displaying the phrase, "United We Stand." It seems "United We Stand" has plateaued.

I am certain at least 2974 family members will fly the flag today.

6 comments:

the4bulls said...

Amen. I will always remember listening to Howard Stern (ok - I am slightly embarrassed by that) but he was watching it live out of his window. To hear his words of pure shock and terror, compared to the perverted ones, really made me realize it was something serious. I called my mom immediately (as Patrick was taking an exam) and cried. I will always remember waiting from my NY friends to call to tell me they were ok. I remember hearing people that had died who I knew. I hope I can "teach" my children about this wonderful/horrible day as well as you do!

Courtney said...

I was getting ready to go in for my student teaching. I flipped on the news while I was getting dressed. I could not believe my eyes or even comprehend what was happening. I went into my fourth grade class and I was the one who talked to them about it because the teacher did not know what happened. There were so many questions and I did my best to answer. It is so important to teach our children to stand up for what they believe in and to teach them about all those people whose lives have been sacrificed to protect our country. It is a great country.

Dahlene said...

A beautiful tribune Britt. I flew my flag today too.

Anonymous said...

well put, britt! powerful words from a powerful person. thanks for the reminders in that beautiful post.

Unknown said...

Of the many things I teach my children, none are as great as what happens every day at 5 p.m. You see, living on a military base can be quite humbling. At 5 pm EVERY day, the national anthem plays. EVERY one STOPS. EVERY one faces the music or a flag, puts their right hand on their heart. It's a moment of silence and respect. My children now stop and put their little hands on their big hearts. Cars stop in the middle of the road. People get out of their vehicles. I think its the most important minute of the day, next to prayer that is. God Bless our military. (Excellent post Britt!!)

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Wow. Whenever I read people's account of 9-11 it gives me chills. It was a weird day for me as I was on my mission. It was also a wonderful day as that same evening I had my first "baptism". And that same fellow actually went through the temple for the first time the day I was sealed to Lee. Thanks for the great post. We need to always remember.