"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dreaming...

of MAINE today.



We stayed at the Moorings Inn located in Southwest Harbor, ME our first two nights on Mount Desert Island. It was a fantastic way to start the trip off and we'll likely return!



Public room of Moorings Inn--We went to see the sunrise on top of Cadillac Mountain one morning and came back here for breakfast. It was perfect...just the two of us talking quietly, drinking orange juice, and enjoying the view. Then a elderly woman walked in, flipped on the little TV, turned the volume up to airplane decibel, and talked our ear off for the next 10 minutes. Of course she was practically yelling so we could hear her New York accent over the TV. I remember doing a lot of head nodding and "uh-huhs."

I always drape across the bed like a model. ha.ha.

Oceanside views from the Moorings Inn backyard.


After checking in we walked to a picnic table and fine dined with Subway sandwiches, grapes, and potato chips. Lunch was peaceful and the breeze wafting off the water was refreshing. No kids to worry about falling in the water on this trip. That's probably why it felt so restful. We could sit and watch the boats as long as we wanted.

An awesome backyard to the Moorings Inn at Southwest Harbor. There were chairs and tables to relax and dine on while watching the boats on the harbor. As guests there were also grills, a fire pit, a pier, kayaks, canoes, bikes,and paddle boats all to be used at our leisure. That's my kind of "complementary" items. Sure beats travel sized shampoo and conditioner.


After our whale watch tour out of Bar Harbor we stopped at a local grocery store and came back to the Morrings Inn to grill our dinner on the edge of the water. We're not big fish eaters. Our menu consisted of steak, baby red potatoes, corn on the cob grilled in the husk, and rolls plus a fine bottle of A & W Root Beer to quench our thirst! Pleasurably Perfect! By the time we ate the night was black and we could only hear the water crashing on the rocks. The boats out on the bay were nearly invisible aside from their small flashing red lights. After we ate we grabbed a bundle of wood, (courtesy of the Inn), and cozied up around the fire pit! We are a pair who delight most in simpleness.


Shyler laughed when he saw me taking a picture of the bathroom view. How could it get any better than this? If you have to do your duty you might as well be privy to a spectacular view. And when the neighbors walk by you can wave...they'll only see your upper torso and head from the outside.



View from our room in Southwest Harbor.

Bridge to Mount Desert Island

Passing through Portland, ME en route to Southwest Harbor, ME

7 comments:

Emmy said...

Wow, that makes me want to go to Maine!

Courtney said...

Sounds absolutely delightful.

Dahlene said...

It looks like you had a relaxing, wonderful time. I've never been to Maine, but after looking at your pictures, I've decided I need to plan a trip there.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Your trip sounded wonderful! Now I want to go kayaking! I hope Dashle grows out of his throwing-up habit. I have no idea what that would be like, but I can image it is a nightmare. Great posts!

Jesika said...

Maine is so beautiful! We visited there when we lived in Pennsylvania. Originally from Arizona, I had never seen such beauty!

Leslie said...

Looks like my kind of fun!

heather said...

very cool.