"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emery in Excellence

This morning I was captivated by the sensation of a new, clean, and pristine toothbrush in my mouth when the phone started ringing. Once I heard the authoritative, but kind voice on the other end I knew it was someone from the elementary school and that something was wrong with Emery. Call it "mother's intuition" or call it "Coy is sleeping soundly, I just got out of the shower, Dashle and Addie are in the middle of breakfast, etc. etc. etc. "

Emery, apparently, was in tears due to a severely acute pain in her right ear. The nurse confirmed Emery did not have a fever, but felt Emery would probably do better at home. It is moments like this when I feel most grateful for a vehicle which functions and that we live a mile south of the school. When I entered the office at the elementary I could see the pain in Emery's eyes as she approached. I gave her a little side hug while I filled in the sign out sheet, which was so extensive I was probably applying for financial aid. By the way for those of you with secretarial responsibilities: Papers inside of binders with rings are a nightmare for left handed people. It takes us twice as long to fill in the designated boxes since we have to maneuver the pen around the rings to make our scribbling legible. Moving on...

While keeping one arm around Emery and trying desperately to quickly sign away my life and hers she began quietly sobbing. I knew she was in pain, but I also gathered the crying was for more than the pain. It was a "I've tried so hard to be so brave and hold my feelings in, but now my mom is here and I can finally just let it out." I remember those moments as a child. There is something about a mom's presence...a loving mom's presence that is. A mom who loves her child and laughs with her child and disciplines her child out of love is the kind of mom that evokes instantaneous emotions out of her children. I figure I must have triggered her new wave of emotion when she looked up and saw the sympathy in my eyes. She knew it was okay to just let it all out. She was safe and her mom would take care of her. My mom did the same for me. She still does. She gives me that type of hug or that certain look that just says, "Let it out. Let it go. It's okay now and I'm here to help you and comfort you." This morning I felt like a true mother. I felt like my mother. That is a very good thing in my book. I felt strong emotions as I held my brilliant, beautiful, creative, happy, helpful, righteous little 6 year old's hand. My desire was only to take her pain away. An ear infection isn't anything terribly serious, but it is painful. It has always been that way especially for Emery. As I drove the mile home I kept wishing I could have the ear ache instead. That is not said with an attempt to sound noble. It was a true and sincere desire. It was the desire of a mom who really loves her kids.

I also had a sudden rush of confidence. I felt confident that I knew exactly how to take care of my girl. I felt confident that such knowledge would come from the Lord because I am trying to do as He has asked me. I am trying to raise righteous children unto Him. Whenever our children are suffering I feel certain I am the best one to alleviate their pains or anxieties, give them a reassuring hug, and whisper words of love in their ears. Today I am glad to be a mom.

Emery's art was one of the few selected from her school to be entered in the district wide art show which displayed art by kids ranging from 1st grade to 12th grade.

Our Emery girl has some pretty strong creative instincts. She is constantly writing books, drawing pictures, making cards, and with the help of her imagination making a day inside (due to a frigid outside) really fun for everyone.


Emery decided a few weeks ago it was time to chop the locks and sport a short do. I'm glad she's not picky and trusts her untrained hairstyling madre to do the snipping.

Emery arrived home from school the other day with this little creation. I asked her if this was something she made in art class. She said, "No, I just did it during recess because we were inside today. It's Wall-E." This is typical Emery. She doesn't ask for toys or treats when we go to the grocery store. She asks for a package of paper and sometimes tape. Fortunately, she has a kind teacher at school who must have an extensive supply of these products on hand for a creative little 1st grader who makes origami look really, really easy. There is only one thing I am sure of and it is this: I am sure I was NOT creating things this intricate and precise when I was a 1st grader. This isn't just motherly pride talking here. This is sheer amazement and wonder at the places her imagination takes her.

8 comments:

Emma said...

What a sweet girl. She's very creative. David does a lot of similar things. He too made a Wall-E out of paper and tape, just for fun.

Kendra said...

Thanks for the sweet reminder Britt. You re such a wonderful mother.

Emery is so darling!

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

Emery is so cute and sweet! Poor thing ear ache really do hurt! She is a really good artist when ever we watch her she want to color and draw pictures which she does really well!

Dahlene said...

That's so sweet. What a great mom you are. I'm thankful to be a mom too.

Nick and Libby said...

You are such a wonderful and sweet friend and mom! I really enjoyed that story!

Courtney said...

I want to be like Britt when I grow up. What a wonderful insight you had that day. Thanks.

heather said...

you are a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Britt, i've thought about you all weekend. glad to see that you are still a wonderful mother:). And emery as beautiful as ever. miss you!