"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Belated Birthdays Update



Dashle and Addie both celebrated birthdays in January. It is now mid-February and I'm posting about it. Hmmm... I think they both felt very loved and appreciated on their special days. I believe birthdays have the potential to be really great days full of fun and celebration. Sure the presents make the occasion all the more exciting and the cake with gobs of frosting doesn't hurt either. But, I would go so far as to say the reason my kids' smiles are so magnificent on their birthdays is because Shyler and I make every effort to let them know how much we cherish them and how absent our lives would be without them. They feel loved and wanted. You can't put a price tag on that or wrap it up in pretty birthday paper.

I really cannot remember a birthday since the inception of my parenthood when I haven't felt a little choked up. It usually comes when we are having family prayer on my childrens' special day. It is in those moments (especially if I'm the one offering the prayer) I feel so humbled and so privileged to know these children. On their birthdays I am reminded of their births and the connection I felt with Heavenly Father. I knew where these spirits came from. I knew why they were here. I knew where they were going. Once they were born it became our responsibility to make sure they are taught and trained to reach their ultimate eternal goals. On their birthdays I feel grateful God grants me access to see a small glimpse of their grand potential. I love that I live with them each day and consequently I am influenced for the better by their unique and beautiful spirits.



Do not be mistaken. Even birthdays in the DeMill home do not include 24 hours of flowers, sweet scents, and gifts galore. Of course there is whining! Of course there is grumbling and fighting and fit throwing! Of course Shyler and I still get irritated and frustrated and sometimes we want to celebrate our children's birthdays by placing them on Ebay under a "Buy it now" purchasing offer. That's the blessed dynamics of a family with small children and naive parents. Now that I think about it my kids should feel grateful for one special day a year that is given only to them. If it wasn't for their birthdays I might not get choked up and I might not even be given a moment of reflection to feel grateful for their existence. They shouldn't be excited about cake and presents and possibly a few friends who come for the celebration. They should be excited that on this day, their day, mom might actually admit she likes them. ha.ha.













3 comments:

Jessica said...

I've been bad this year -- I need to get cards off ASAP! We sure do love you guys and are happy you brought those kids to our big extended family. Thanks for sharing Shyler with us this weekend-It was great to see him.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Dashle's cake was so cute! Thanks for the fun update. Your kids are super cute. Hopefully I'll be able to celebrate the girls' 2nd birthday with them and not be in the hospital anymore!

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

I decided I cant read you blog anymore! You are such a good writer I read what you write then I think man when people read my blog they probably think I am a retarded because I can't write.