"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Thursday, April 24, 2008

A trim plus some

  • Last week on a whim I decided to try out a local hair salon down the road. One of the young women I teach at church had mentioned a place she goes to and also one that her mom goes to...on the same street. Long story short I decided to try one of the places. Did I mention my memory isn't really up to par these days? Well, I don't know if I selected her mom's place, or this girl's place because along main street in town there are 4 or 5 salons to choose. The place had good ratings online and one mother raved, "My teenage daughters and I have been going there for years and we just love the styles they create for us!" Okay, so there wasn't a bundle of comments and ratings...just this one. Well, when I walked into the salon my heart sank a little as I was thrust back in time to about 1964. Every hairdresser...a whole two was at least 55+ and the one customer getting her hair done was just like my grandma and Shyler's grandma and every other grandma who goes to the hairdresser weekly to update her perm.

    The place was decorated in hanging beads, porcelain birds as wall ornaments, and mint green paint. The lady designated to cut my hair wasn't terribly elderly except she couldn't hear very well and when she stared at me in confusion she would look to the other hairdresser for some enlightenment. The really humorous part was when she took me back to wash my hair and through an adjacent door I made eye contact with another hairdresser who, bless her heart, was as old as Methuselah (that's old) and enjoying a hearty lunch of peanut butter and jelly on rye.


    I know what you're thinking, "a trim just might work in these circumstances." I might have thought the same except for months I have awakened in the morning having dreamt about myself sometime in the future with bangs! Do you know how long it has been since I had bangs? Um....1998! Aaaahhhh! I kept asking the lady ( in a very loud voice), "Do you have a picture I can look at so you know exactly what I want? Have you done this type of hairstyle a lot?" She kept reassuring me she had done this same exact cut time and time again and so with a large lump of anxiety the cutting began! Did I mention she had sunburned arms that were peeling and I caught a few of those peelings in my hair? Yes, it was a lovely day at the hairdresser's!


    Don't be alarmed. It actually turned out quite well aside from my frantic thinking during the haircut of how I would pay $20 here and then go somewhere else and pay $35 just to have my haircut fixed!


    As I was ready to exit the hair world of 1964 I asked my hairdresser, "Were you nervous about cutting bangs for me?" (I had to repeat it 3 times, of course). She said, "Oh, no. I have done that cut many, many times, but I think you were a bit nervous." Gee, she could tell? hee.


6 comments:

Britt said...

What!?! No picture!?!

Anonymous said...

Britt I'm glad your haircut turned out OK... on monday I went to get my hair done by a highly recommended girl - and i walked out looking like a ZEBRA!! i guess subtle natural looking highlights means something different to everyon!

Jesika said...

Where's the pic?? Don't leave us hangin'!

Natalie said...

Uh, HELLO? BRITT??!! Where's the picture of this cute hair????

lishalou said...

You are SO funny Britt! I can't believe you actually went through with it, and it tunred out! Show us the proof! HA! How hilarious.

Jaime said...

I can't believe it!! No picture? I've got to see you with cute bangs!!