Emery began her schooling career on August 27, 2007. The morning went smoothly and we were all dressed and prepped for the day by 7:50 a.m. For me, this was quite the feat.
Emery seemed really tired and slightly reluctant to crawl out of bed until I mentioned it was her first day of school and then she dashed down the ladder and right to her dresser to pick out her favorite new outfit. Addie had mixed emotions this day also. She assumed she must be starting preschool if Emery was starting kindergarten. I tried to break it to her gently this was not the case by allowing her to wear a new shirt we picked up at the thrift store just to help her feel excited about the upcoming changes for our family. She seemed appeased with this until we started walking Emery into the school and Addie realized this was the location of her last traumatic experience. (Previously at an open house: Emery was given a sucker and as she thoughtfully asked Addie what color she wanted the teacher
said Addie couldn't have one. It was a very dramatic series of events following this incident). So, as we walked toward the school on that bright, cheery morning everything was amiss with sweet Addie. She nearly collapsed on the sidewalk jamming a moving throng of adults with kiddies in tow. The situation might have been contained better if I wasn't holding Prince Beefy who weighs more at 8 months than our girls did at 15 months. These are the days I wish to be Elastigirl or Octopus Woman. If anyone has any morphing potion recipes I'm open to suggestions.
Naturally, Addie was pretty miffed about the whole sucker thing and refused to give Emery a kiss and a hug when we parted ways. Emery made the attempt, but Addie resisted. As we walked out of the school I was a little choked up. I didn't think this event would bother me, but I kept watching the clock waiting for the time to retrieve my big girl from school.
By the way, as we left the building that morning Addie started melting in despair (AGAIN!!!) because she wanted to give Emery a hug and a kiss. Clearly, things must be done on her time schedule, not the rest of civilization's.
I am an naive young mother and I wasn't sure how the whole lunch thing was supposed to work for the first day of school. I worried about giving Emery money because she might lose it. What if it wasn't the right amount, would the cafeteria lady gip her on the change or what if the tray was
too heavy and it spilled all over her new clothes or she talked and messed around and never took time to eat anything and was starving the whole day? The school had sent out a lot of information, but never anything about lunches as that would be sent home the first day of school. I thought, "Well, that's super, but what about the first day of lunch?" So, we emptied out the Play-doh box that Grandma Jean gave to the girls a few Christmases ago because it resembled a lunch box aside from the smell. I washed it out and packed a lunch for my big girl and she seemed excited about the idea regardless of its past contents. When we picked her up I immediately asked if she did okay at lunch and she informed me that she ate her pudding and half of her sandwich. Once home, I asked if the girls wanted a snack and Emery decided to have her bag of chips from lunch. I pulled her lunchbox out of the backpack and opened it to find butterscotch pudding EVERYWHERE inside. I started to smile and Emery, with concerned eyes said, "I was worried about that." She had tried to save the last few bites of her pudding for after school. It was pretty cute. Then we discussed throwing things (such as pudding packs) away when lunchtime is over. Ahh, what fun, what fun!!
Emery seemed really tired and slightly reluctant to crawl out of bed until I mentioned it was her first day of school and then she dashed down the ladder and right to her dresser to pick out her favorite new outfit. Addie had mixed emotions this day also. She assumed she must be starting preschool if Emery was starting kindergarten. I tried to break it to her gently this was not the case by allowing her to wear a new shirt we picked up at the thrift store just to help her feel excited about the upcoming changes for our family. She seemed appeased with this until we started walking Emery into the school and Addie realized this was the location of her last traumatic experience. (Previously at an open house: Emery was given a sucker and as she thoughtfully asked Addie what color she wanted the teacher
said Addie couldn't have one. It was a very dramatic series of events following this incident). So, as we walked toward the school on that bright, cheery morning everything was amiss with sweet Addie. She nearly collapsed on the sidewalk jamming a moving throng of adults with kiddies in tow. The situation might have been contained better if I wasn't holding Prince Beefy who weighs more at 8 months than our girls did at 15 months. These are the days I wish to be Elastigirl or Octopus Woman. If anyone has any morphing potion recipes I'm open to suggestions.
Naturally, Addie was pretty miffed about the whole sucker thing and refused to give Emery a kiss and a hug when we parted ways. Emery made the attempt, but Addie resisted. As we walked out of the school I was a little choked up. I didn't think this event would bother me, but I kept watching the clock waiting for the time to retrieve my big girl from school.By the way, as we left the building that morning Addie started melting in despair (AGAIN!!!) because she wanted to give Emery a hug and a kiss. Clearly, things must be done on her time schedule, not the rest of civilization's.
I am an naive young mother and I wasn't sure how the whole lunch thing was supposed to work for the first day of school. I worried about giving Emery money because she might lose it. What if it wasn't the right amount, would the cafeteria lady gip her on the change or what if the tray was
too heavy and it spilled all over her new clothes or she talked and messed around and never took time to eat anything and was starving the whole day? The school had sent out a lot of information, but never anything about lunches as that would be sent home the first day of school. I thought, "Well, that's super, but what about the first day of lunch?" So, we emptied out the Play-doh box that Grandma Jean gave to the girls a few Christmases ago because it resembled a lunch box aside from the smell. I washed it out and packed a lunch for my big girl and she seemed excited about the idea regardless of its past contents. When we picked her up I immediately asked if she did okay at lunch and she informed me that she ate her pudding and half of her sandwich. Once home, I asked if the girls wanted a snack and Emery decided to have her bag of chips from lunch. I pulled her lunchbox out of the backpack and opened it to find butterscotch pudding EVERYWHERE inside. I started to smile and Emery, with concerned eyes said, "I was worried about that." She had tried to save the last few bites of her pudding for after school. It was pretty cute. Then we discussed throwing things (such as pudding packs) away when lunchtime is over. Ahh, what fun, what fun!!Addie and Dashle shortly after dropping Emery off at school.

6 comments:
I remember when Kylie started Kindergarden, (it feels like yesterday!) and I had all those same things go thru my mind about "lunch". She looks so grown up, and I can't believe Dashel, he's grown sooo much. I LOVE his dimples, I could just squeeze & squeeze him!!
Such a big day! Looks like you hung in there, Mom! (I bawled for hours after dropping Sean off at K. for the first time!--I did pretty good with Cameron this year) =) Prince Beefy--that's cute!
aw that's so cute. I love her outfit!!!
thats so cute. Landon brought his lunch box home with an open juice box and a few chips (soggy from the spilling juice box) BUt I told him if he didnt finish, to save his lunch, of course not meaning his juice box :) Kindergarden is fun, they are growing up :(
So fun!! What a great accomplishment for the little ones! I stILL remember going to kindergarten. My teacher's name was Mrs. Herschevitz. Yeah, trying saying that when you're 5..Whew!
The kids are looking so big and adorable, of course!
Crazy! Emery in Kindergarten. At least you got the option of crying if you wanted. We walked Porter to Ashton Ranch last year and I started getting a migrane on the way, so by the time we said goodbye I just wanted to get home and take some tylenol and pass out in bed. Come to think of it I got a migrane this year too, but it wasn't until his second day. What a headache! I love that Emery saved the last few bites of her puding. There's always room for puding.
Post a Comment