

Just before Shyler and I were married we were asked to meet one Tuesday evening with his Stake President. I hardly knew the man, but trusted he would give us wise counsel and send us happily on our way. Truthfully I experienced a bit of anxiety before the appointment since he knew Shyler's family very well. There was a high probability we would walk into his office and he would say, "Shyler, this girl is all wrong for you! Don't come back until you've found the girl in my head!"
The only thing I remember him saying was something along the lines of posterity and building a family. He said, "Some day you will have little ones running around with your faces on them." Shyler and I sort of blew off that statement for a few years since we were completely focused on each other:
"You're gorgeous!"
"No! You're gorgeous!"
"Well, you're gorgeous-er!"
Once the kids started coming the memory of that night with the Stake President came flooding back and we have been giggling ever since...mostly because these poor kids ARE running around with our faces on them. I bet that Stake President didn't realize how prophetic his statement really was.
In the last couple of weeks the comments have been gushing out as to the physical likeness between our boys. Honestly, I think Dashle looks like Dashle and Coy looks like Coy. To me, they are similar because they are both adorable and lovable and kissable! Sometimes I just want to squeeze every ounce of their cuteness out of them! Coy doesn't mind so much, but Dashle starts doing his warrior cry which is equivalent to a little girl whose hair is on fire.
We have concluded it is all in the eye of the beholder to use the old cliche'. We think they really look nothing alike, but we've learned to humor people with their wacky ideas by nodding, politely smiling, and saying, "Well, they are brothers!"
Really, are these kids running around with our faces on them or with each other's?
Whatever the true likeness of our children may be we are most grateful for their individuality.
They are unique spirits of our loving Heavenly Father. No two are exactly alike and this is what we love about our pint sized persons!
They each bring something significant and vital to our family.
If they weren't a part of us there would certainly be something missing...not just in terms of the physical space they fill, but in the attributes they provide.
They each contribute through their individuality to the peace and love in our home...and once in a while to the instability and insanity. There must be opposition in all things!
The above pictures are of Dashle and Coy at 9 months respectively. Hint: Dashle is the chunky, drooly fellow with a good spot of hair on his head. Coy is our skinny, squirty boy with barely enough hair for the wind to tousle. Ahh! How we love these boys even if one does scream like a girl!
3 comments:
Looks like you had a great 4th of July! I can relate with people commenting on the likeness Coy and Dashle. People tell me all the time that my girls look alike and they must be identical twins. It still surprises me, as I think my girls don't even look like sisters! Great pictures!
Call me crazy Brit but I think your boys look so much alike! Not so much in those 2 pictures but take Coy in the picture in this post and Dashle in the picture above in your header, they look A TON alike, especially their eyes!
Love you!
They don't look exactly alike, but yes they are brothers. And cute ones at that. You can tell all your kids come from the same pool:)
Post a Comment