"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Play with Me Please!

Addie: Following Emery around the living room, "Emery, will you pleeeaaassssee just play with me? I haven't played with you all day and I want to play with you."

Emery: "Addie I just want to play by myself!" (Prancing around the living room holding a glittery rainbow fish she made at school and singing a creative little tune about the rainbow fish sharing its scales.)

Addie: "Mom, Emery won't play with me and I haven't played with her at all today!"

Mom: Changing yet another dirty diaper thanks to the fully functional bowels owned by our boys. "Addie, did I say I wouldn't play with you?"

Addie: "No."

Mom: "Then why are you telling me? You need to talk to Emery in a nice voice that isn't whiny and work it out."

Addie: Pauses...then in a very sweet, quiet voice, "Emery, I would really like to play with you. Will you please come and play with me?"

Emery: Still prancing around and singing while Addie is talking. "Addie! I just want to play by myself!"

Mom: Thinking it is time to intercede a little, "Emery, did you know Addie waited for you to come home all day so she could play with you? What do you think about that? You've had a good amount of time playing by yourself this afternoon so how about thinking of your sister? I would really appreciate it and I know Addie would, too."

Emery thinks for a moment.

Emery: "Okay, Addie I'll play with you. What are you playing?"

Addie: "House with babies down in the basement."

Emery and Addie run down the basement stairs excitedly chattering about their imaginative storyline they're going to put into action.

I'm cleaning up the kitchen when I hear frustration brewing and tempers escalating down below.

Emery: "Ruff, ruff! Bark! Bark!"

Addie: "Emery! No! Don't be the doggy! That's not how we play house! You can't play if you're going to be the doggy!"

Emery: "Fine! If I can't be the doggy than I'm not playing!"

Addie: "Ohhhhhhh!" (whiny voice.) Clearly she is torn.

I can hear Emery marching up the stairs.

Addie: "Okay, okay! You can be the doggy!"

Emery runs back down the stairs.

Emery: "Ruff, ruff! Bark! Bark!"

Addie: "Now doggy you stay there while I go and get the baby."

Emery: "Ruff, ruff! Bark! Bark!"

4 comments:

Dahlene said...

That is so comical, but I can just hear it. I hear that at our house on a consistent basis only it's about trucks, video games, and, you guessed it, dogs.

Anonymous said...

oh, sisters. they will surely be best friends when they grow up. and there is nothing quite like a sister:).

Trent and Kristi said...

I am taking notes on how you handle your kids - because I think you do it so well! You should write a book or something! Your kids are the cutest!!!! And your boys - wow - they are resourceful to say the least and keep you on your toes I'm sure! I guess Kami's baby powder incident was mild compared to some of your boys tricks!

Anonymous said...

They are so sweet! I could just see Emery dancing around with her glittery fish and Addie trying to use her powers of persuasion. Life is so full of compromise.... I miss them.

Mom (aka. Grandma)