"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Monday, May 4, 2009

The BIG 30!

Shyler finally caught up to me on April 22. He hit the BIG 30 and our family had a great time celebrating his special day. It is a lofty goal to speak to my husband over the phone while he is working. Usually I get to speak to his voice mail or one of the scrub techs in the OR. They usually ask, "Is this an emergency?" My reply is often, "Yes! I need him to stop at the grocery store and grab some milk on the way home! Our children's bone density depends on it!" Our best buds recently had a similar experience when the wife paged her husband in the OR. It was the early afternoon when she realized her husband's birthday was not the next day, but was presently happening. The scrub nurse asked, "Is there an emergency?" My friend wasn't sure what to say so she told the truth. "Well, it's his birthday and I just remembered and I really need to tell him happy birthday." The scrub nurse said, "Oh." That was it. How sympathetic. (She may call me after reading this post and tell me I have the story completely wrong.)

On Shyler's big day the girls and I settled for the voicemail. I decided a scrub nurse or a scrub tech, (whomever would be privileged to answer Dr. DeMill's pager) would prefer not to recreate our rendition of "Happy Birthday." The nice thing about our guy's day was that he was post call and returned home around 1 pm. I was determined to be completely selfless and let him take a nap, but he refused. Hey, I tried! Instead of a nap he got all four kids to himself. I left him home to grab some groceries for his special dinner. My man loves fajitas! I don't make them too often because our house stinks for days after the initial meal, but Shyler is worth it!












I think it was a very enjoyable evening although I can't figure out why birthday celebrations are unable to end around 7:30pm to get the kiddos in bed on time. Dashle wasn't feeling too well and on his favorite dad's birthday we put him to bed early without seeing fire on the cake or even getting a taste. This was not the saddest tale of the night. We had a great dinner, pretty tasty cake (we're not really cake fans so this is saying something), great gifts were given, and a lot of laughs created.

When Shyler was driving home the next day he mentioned to me over the phone that his car door was open when he approached the vehicle to go to work at 5:30 that morning. He reported that as far as he could see nothing was missing. I asked if he checked the trunk. He said he had not. As soon as he got home he checked. I was changing Coy when Shyler entered the house and asked the girls, "Where's mom?" My heart sank. Objects in trunk...GONE. The major items stolen from our trunk didn't belong to us. I felt bad. Shyler felt bad. He had to call his buddy and say, "Hey, um, your hunting bow sort of got stolen out of my trunk. Ahem." A sure lesson on how IMPORTANT it is to return other people's possessions IMMEDIATELY after use. We still felt violated that someone had the audacity to walk onto our driveway and get into our car! Sure! Help yourselves to whatever you can find in the dark! Thanks for taking it upon yourself to teach us some valuable lessons! --Excuse my sarcasm.-- Another lesson we learned is there is no such thing as a truly safe and theft free neighborhood. We live in a really nice area. It's quiet, clean, and the neighbors are genuinely kind. Obviously this does not mean a thing! After much thought and deducing we believe the theft likely occurred on the night of Shyler's b-day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG BOY! Ahhhhhh!

6 comments:

the4bulls said...

Well, Shyler must really be special because he shares the same birthday as me!!! And he looks super excited to get those shoes too :-) Happy Belated Birthday to Shyler!

(side note - I also ask the scrub nurses to remind him he needs to pick up milk - but sometimes I make it funny and ask him to get tampons or something totally embarrassing!)

Dave and Julie said...

Well, I cried the whole WEEK of my birthday 30th birthday! I think this is when I started the philosphy that I'll be 30 til I'm 35. I'll be 35 til I'm 40 and so on. :)

Happy Birthday!!!! Ole! Maybe we need to do a fajita night here before we leave.

Jeanerbee said...

That's too bad about the theft! People can be so rude... but Happy Birthday to Shyler anyway! I can't believe we are all getting so *mature* so quickly!!!

heather said...

happy birthday shyler. I remember that year that dave did his surgery internship. We just visited him at the hospital for fhe etc. I don't think dave saw the sun that whole year. When we watch home videos from that year, in every one dave is asleep on the couch and the kids are playing and crawling all over him. dave looks back now and realizes that he was completely sleep deprived and wasn't working on full brain power. ha.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday Shyler. i'm glad that your valuables didn't get stolen. I'm also glad that your wife makes me chuckle just by being her delightful self. I'll be extra happy when you are done with all of this OR business in a land far away from AZ. There are plenty of ORs here that you can work in...just think about it. Britt could make me laugh every single sunday (more if she wants, but that would be minimum). It would do wonders for her self esteem when i stop her in the hall and beg for some wisdom and comic relief. Not that she is struggling with self esteem. But who doesn't like to be laughed at and appreciated??? happy birthday. move back. or i'll see to it that it is your stuff that gets stolen next time...

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

Well it looks like Shyler had a good birthday! That is too bad your car got broken into!