"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Friday, August 15, 2008

8 Years Ago Today...

I sent this email to Shyler's parents a little over 4 years ago. I don't think my pregnancy brain today can do what I wrote 4 years ago any justice. For all of the papers I wrote during college I found life to be a lot less stressful when I could reuse something I had already penned for a new assignment. My English professors were all for the idea since it was my work (it's not illegal or offensive to plagiarize my own work). So, hopefully my prose won't make anyone blush too badly, but in my mind the best way to honor my husband and the extraordinary marriage we have is through the written word or in this case, the repeated written word.

April 23, 2004

In celebrating Shyler's birthday yesterday I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the two of you for more reasons than just the obvious...(that you gave birth to him.) I hung up pictures of him all over the house, some of which were from his childhood and infancy. There were pictures of scouting events,pictures of baseball and soccer and basketball, pictures of Christmas time, school pictures, and my personal favorite...pictures of a cute little messy face in a high chair. There wasn't one picture where he didn't have a great big smile on his face. I believe this is because he has always had the wonderful support of loving parents like you.

I am so grateful for the boy you raised so he could become the man I love so dearly. He honors his priesthood, he looks after our children with compassion and love and patience, he has respect and love for his wife, he is a great listener, he loves to laugh, he works hard in school, at home, and in his respective church callings. He wants to serve the Lord and tries to do what is right each day of his life. Words can't give justice to the gratitude I have for the both of you for building all of these wonderful attributes into his character.

He is not the stereo-typical male and I love this about him! He doesn't come home after school and veg on the couch in front of the TV. He is excited to see us and be with us and ever so willing to assist me in the home. He knows the importance of being an active part in his children's lives and you know what? He is an amazing father! He is my best friend. There is no one I would rather count on to make me smile and feel content with my less than perfect self. He is the fulfillment of my youthful dreams and I am so thankful the Lord led me to him.

Thank you for loving him enough to teach him right from wrong. Thank you for teaching him to love and respect his wife, to honor his priesthood, to fear God, and to follow the prophet. Thank you for teaching him about the vitality of growing close to the Lord each day, for building a desire in his heart to serve the Lord, and the importance of giving 2 yrs. of his life to the work. Thank you for teaching him the value of service, the need to prioritize, and how to work hard at everything he does. Thank you for teaching him to always do his best. Through you he was given the tools for success in the home, the workplace, and especially in the gospel. Often parents don't realize the positive impact they've had on their children. I'm here to tell you what a spectacular job you did with Shyler. I'm still not sure what I did to deserve such a devoted husband and father to our children. My guess is the Lord knew I needed a lot of work and Shyler could be the one to whip me into shape.

You need to know that I am in love with your son for more reasons than his dashingly good looks. (a thank you should be handed out to you for that also). I love him for everything he is and has the potential of becoming. That wouldn't be possible without the integral part you've played in his life. It was because of your persistence and fervent desire to help mold him into a good man that I am able to love him the way that I do. Thank you for teaching him the importance of the temple so that he was worthy to take me to be sealed for time and eternity. To have him for a mere 50+ years in mortality is not enough for me! Thank you for teaching him the nobility of being good so he can bless our children and our home and countless other people as he acts in God's name through the priesthood. Thank you for teaching him the importance of good music so that our kids prefer music which inspires the soul. Thank you for teaching him how to pray day and night, alone and with the family. It has been a source of strength throughout our marriage.

He loves and honors both of you. I love and honor both of you. I love you because of who you are and what you stand for, but I especially love you because of Shyler...because you prepared him for me and for our posterity. Our children couldn't ask for a better father and I couldn't ask for a better husband. So, pat yourselves on the back for a job well done. Thank you for your example!

Much love,

Britt

10 comments:

Nick and Libby said...

Happy Anniversary! What beautiful words you have written.

the4bulls said...

What a good DIL you are to do this! I know I think things like this all the time - but the words you chose are perfect to describe your feelings! Make sure you don't tell my in-laws about this!

the4bulls said...

PS - Happy Anniversary!

Emma said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

Happy Anniversary! I love all the pics! You guys are a cute couple!

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Hey Brit!
I found you via Emma's blog. Don't know if you remember us, but we were in the Wymount ward together. 4 kids huh? Holy cow, that was fast! Congrats on the 8th year! Matt and I are looking at 9 soon. Crazy how time flies when you're having fun! :)

Jaime said...

Happy Anniversary you too! I love all of your pics! You look so young...not that you "old" by any means!! ha ha!

Trent and Kristi said...

Wow - looks like you guys have been busy the last 8 years! How time flies! Congrats on #4 - soooo exciting. Your pics totally took me back to BYU days - were we really THAT young??? Good to catch up on what you are up to! By the way, your girls are ADORABLE - especially Addie. Can I steal her?? :)

Jesika said...

Yay!! Congrats on your anniversary! The pics are adorable and you STILL look that young and skinny! (Makes me sick! haha) The letter you wrote was amazing! Sounds like you have a WiNNeR!!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Congrats on the anniversary! The pictures were really fun.