"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Thursday, April 3, 2008

DeMills CAN!


In the DeMill home there are certain requirements/jobs that must be fulfilled to earn the privilege of watching a PBS cartoon in the morning and also to be rewarded with a large and deliciously nutritious bowl of cereal. (In our home we really do eat Cheerios and Chex and Raisin Bran. My mom would be so proud! And I am quite impressed my children really do enjoy such healthy, card board-like cereals.)
Well, Addie struggles with these stipulations. Every morning we go through the same sort of drama that really can be mushed into one pure statement from our sweet 4 yr. old: " I CAN'T!"
"I can't make my bed all by myself!"
"I can't get dressed all by myself!"
" I can't wait any longer to eat breakfast!"
For some time I have been training our girls that DeMills CAN! Well, Addie is just struggling with this entire concept. So, as the drama ensued early this morning after seeing Emery onto the bus and off to a fun filled day of school Addie changed up her stressed out whinings a little:
Addie: " Do you hear that? It is my stomach getting so hungry!"
Still sniffling and moping and whining twenty minutes later:
Addie: "Did you hear that again? When my stomach just keeps roaring it means I need to eat breakfast!"
My compromise:
Britt: "Addie, if you get dressed I will be happy to give you some breakfast. But, you need to stop throwing a fit."
Addie: "OK, mommy." (Sniffling comes to a halt momentarily.)
2.3 seconds later...
Addie: "Mom! Can you please just come and help me get my jacket out of the closet?"
(Whining, sort of crying, and really becoming a bit frantic...)
Britt: "Addie, you told me you weren't going to throw fits anymore."
Addie's expression turns from distraught to realization and she says, "Oh."
(AGAIN, the whining stops momentarily.)
Addie presumably leaves to go get dressed.
4.6 seconds later:
Sheeeeeee's baaaack!
Addie: "Mommy! Please! I just need your help! Pleeeeaaaasssseee!"
Britt: "Do you stomp on the ground and say you "can't" do something at preschool?"
Addie: "No! Mommy! I don't do that!"
Britt: "Then why do you do it at home?"
Addie: "Because I'm just not very old!" Game. Set. Match.

No comments: