"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."
Elder Russell M. Nelson
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Look what I found!
Here I sit deep into the night on the Sabbath. The children and Mr. Handsome are all tucked away in their cozy beds. Well, I take that back. Our bed is not cozy. The mattress has been "taconized." That means when the hub and I get on we roll to the middle and become the meat and lettuce. You can decide who gets to be the beef and who gets to be the lechuga. We need to get a new one. Perhaps that is why I am procrastinating my slumber. I think it is time for us to stop talking and start doing. We have certainly addressed the problem long enough. I think we discovered the impending sag when we still lived in Arizona. And yet we hauled the violent perpetrator of half my back problems across the country only to sleep miserably in a different state and to have my mom mention at each visit that it is time to say goodbye to the taco. I should be studying the scriptures or the Ensign or reading something spiritually beyond my comprehension by James E. Talmage. The computer beguiled me. It called to me. It started chanting, "Blog. Blog. Blog. Blog." While I was catching up on a few other blogs I decided to check mine to see if anything had changed. Nothing. Who's in charge of this thing? Oh, yeah. I started flipping through my old post lists and found a handful of drafts I never published. Neglecting to click the "publish post" button doesn't bother me. I won't lose sleep over it tonight. See "taco mattress" for a description on what I lose sleep over. I deleted most of my drafts, but I came across these fantastic pictures taken back in March during spring break. We took the kids down to Ohio's renowned Hocking Hills and did some hocking, I mean hiking. Looking at these pictures this evening in the stillness of our home has reminded me how much I really love what I do. This is what I am meant to do. When I was a little girl I didn't want to be an astronaut or a chef or a race car driver. I wanted to be a wife and a mom. So, I may sleep on a taco mattress for now. Mr. Handsome still puts his dirty clothes on the lid of the hamper instead of dumping them inside. Dashle spends countless hours complaining that Coy won't stop touching him. Addie's proclamation AT LEAST 4 times a day is that someone else distracted her which caused her then to make poor choices. Emery forgets sometimes she is the oldest as opposed to a wild Dingo destined to harass and devour the other children. Coy refuses to lay down to get his diaper changed. We're not perfect. Did I mention that I yell sometimes? Yep. I do. Life is good. Life is really, really good. A large part of it is thanks to these imperfect people that belong with imperfect me. I have no gratitude right now for the taco that's waiting for me upstairs.
We have started becoming more adventurous out here in Missouri and have been on a couple of family hikes. I've really enjoyed them. Hocking Hills looks like a great place to hike! I love the BYU gear! We're headed out to Utah in October and I am excited to go to the bookstore and stock up on some items! Good luck with the mattress...
you are the cutest mom ever. and have the cutest kids too! we have the opposite problem - our mattress is a burrito - or the rockies with nice matching canyons on either side - which ever way you want to look at it... ha ha. you make me laugh. i have a gazillion drafts too...and I yell sometimes too...glad my apple hasn't fallen far from the typical mom tree these day! Oh, but you have FOUR kiddos! you are amazing - never forget it!
How in the world did you become such a talented writer?! I know that you're a full-time mommy, and by full-time, I mean full-time. But you should really try to squeeze in some more time (don't ask me how) to write a column for a paper or something! The world needs to experience your talent! Love the pictures, by the way. Oh, and I hope that your taco wasn't too terribly uncomfortable last night! :)
Good to see you in the blogging world again. Missed ya. We have the complete opposite problem with our mattress. There is a big hill between our sides of the mattress. So now we fight over who gets the nice firm middle section. Miss you guys.
Hey Brit! Man, every time I read your blog, it is always fun! You need to be a writer! I would totally buy your books! Thanks for commenting on FB a while back. I try not to go on there too much because minutes turn quickly into hours...
The pics are great. Those awesome outdoor adventures are gonna turn into the ones your kids remember the most. Soo fun!
Though we never called our mattress a taco we've had that problem for a couple years too. Finally last January we got a very nice, firm, but fluffy pillowtop mattress. May I just say "BLISS!"? I sleep so well at night. I feel like I'm sleeping on a white, fluffy cloud. I hope you find the money to buy your fluffy cloud to sleep on soon. You have such a cute imperfect family. You need to read Maleah Warner's blog this week. She redefined perfection. Go to:http://smashingstories.blogspot.com/2010/09/perfection-redefined.html
9 comments:
We have started becoming more adventurous out here in Missouri and have been on a couple of family hikes. I've really enjoyed them. Hocking Hills looks like a great place to hike! I love the BYU gear! We're headed out to Utah in October and I am excited to go to the bookstore and stock up on some items! Good luck with the mattress...
you are the cutest mom ever. and have the cutest kids too! we have the opposite problem - our mattress is a burrito - or the rockies with nice matching canyons on either side - which ever way you want to look at it... ha ha. you make me laugh. i have a gazillion drafts too...and I yell sometimes too...glad my apple hasn't fallen far from the typical mom tree these day! Oh, but you have FOUR kiddos! you are amazing - never forget it!
How in the world did you become such a talented writer?! I know that you're a full-time mommy, and by full-time, I mean full-time. But you should really try to squeeze in some more time (don't ask me how) to write a column for a paper or something! The world needs to experience your talent! Love the pictures, by the way. Oh, and I hope that your taco wasn't too terribly uncomfortable last night! :)
Good to see you in the blogging world again. Missed ya. We have the complete opposite problem with our mattress. There is a big hill between our sides of the mattress. So now we fight over who gets the nice firm middle section. Miss you guys.
Hey Brit! Man, every time I read your blog, it is always fun! You need to be a writer! I would totally buy your books! Thanks for commenting on FB a while back. I try not to go on there too much because minutes turn quickly into hours...
The pics are great. Those awesome outdoor adventures are gonna turn into the ones your kids remember the most. Soo fun!
Britt! I call a bed like yours a taco too! Those are the worst! Miss you!
Though we never called our mattress a taco we've had that problem for a couple years too. Finally last January we got a very nice, firm, but fluffy pillowtop mattress. May I just say "BLISS!"? I sleep so well at night. I feel like I'm sleeping on a white, fluffy cloud. I hope you find the money to buy your fluffy cloud to sleep on soon. You have such a cute imperfect family. You need to read Maleah Warner's blog this week. She redefined perfection. Go to:http://smashingstories.blogspot.com/2010/09/perfection-redefined.html
What a great post...sure miss ya! The mattress...reminds me of sleeping on the tramp and every last one of us rolling into one big pile in the middle.
Sure miss yer guts! How about another fantastic post as a sort of...therapy. Way too bad none of those handsome P-boys can be in the photos:(
new mexico new mexico new mexico
Post a Comment