"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."

Elder Russell M. Nelson

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Remembering an Elect Lady


After Shyler and I returned home from our trip to Maine last week I discovered while cleaning out my inbox that our ward's most cherished friend passed away. Since the news of her death my thoughts have rested heavily on the impact she had on me even though I didn't know her as well or as long as most members of the ward. One of the very first Sundays after our family arrived Sister Jaynes stood up in Relief Society to share her testimony. I quickly discovered she was never bashful about doing so and we could all count on hearing from her in Sacrament meeting or Relief Society. I won't forget the testimony she shared on this particular Sunday. At the time our ward was meeting at 1pm each Sunday. I give this little piece of information to help you understand her testimony better. I don't remember word for word, but this was the gist of it:

"On Sunday mornings before church I like to sit in my bed and read the scriptures, or the Ensign, or some other work by the general authorities. As I was reading and pondering this morning I started thinking about the things which were most essential to me. I asked myself, "If I had to pick up and leave my home what would be the most important things to grab as I walk out?" I decided that most everything I would take were contained in my purse. All of my personal and financial information is in there. More importantly my temple recommend is in there plus a few snacks, (she always had something humorous to go with the spiritual). The only thing I would have to grab besides my purse would be my scriptures. I can't go without my scriptures."


I think in those simple statements came truth filled with faith and devotion to Jesus Christ. From then on I developed a deep love and admiration for Sister Jaynes. She used to tell me what a kick she got out of our children, especially Dashle. She would say, "I know it must make you crazy that he screams so much, but it just makes me giggle." For a short time she was a Relief Society teacher and she would bring a small bag of chocolates each time she taught. These were tossed out to the sisters when they completed her sentences. I'll always remember how adorable she was when she couldn't remember a certain word and then all the sisters would start throwing out phrases until she would say, "That one! Oh! Thank you!"


Sister Jaynes had an unshakable testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. She was a convert of nearly 30 years. Her husband never joined the church before his death. Many of her children maintained their distance from the church, and yet she had grandchildren who served missions and continue to be faithful. Her influence does not merely cover her bloodline, it has been rested upon all of us as her ward family. She taught many of us to bottle tomatoes, make soap, when and how to plant peas and potatoes. She was self reliant. She had to be. She had been widowed for quite some time. She had a firm foundation in the gospel for which I was often grateful. More than once when discussions became speculative in Relief Society she was the one who would lovingly bring the conversation back to the doctrine. She made everyone around her feel loved and valued and I will greatly miss her wisdom, charm, and witty humor.

To me, the most wonderful part in her passing is thinking of her reunion with her husband. She would often mention the need to fervently study the gospel so when she met her husband again she would be worthy to stand beside him. She was sure he had gained mounds of wisdom and knowledge during their mortal separation. Death is not the end! I am sad I will no longer hear Sister Jaynes' famous chuckle when jesting at herself. I'm happy she is now able to rest for a time and to feel at peace. No one deserves to rest more than Sister Jaynes who served our ward and everyone around her with devotion and love!

Alma 40:12
"And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."



4 comments:

J & M Squared said...

We all loved Sister Jaynes, she was an amazing woman! The funeral today was a great celebration of her life! When I was training for the Columbus Half Marathon, I would run past her house and she would be watering her flowers. Sometimes I would stop and chat and other times she would squirt me and tell me that I was an inspiration to others in our ward to lose weight, and to get going! She was an awesome friend!

Leslie said...

an absolutely beautiful tribute.

lishalou said...

So, it's been a long long time since I blogged let alone blog spied on others. I spied your blog today....for quite some time, and am missing my down-to-earth, tell it like it is, good ole dose of common sense, humor and reality, go to her to get some perspective and priorities lined up right BRITT! (I know that run-on is killing you right now...hahaha!) I love you girl. When do I get to see my fav pal again?

Dave and Julie said...

It was weird that she had been on my mind SOOOO much that week. Then I heard the news. I will CAN and make soap in her honor! I love that lady! The veil just doesn't seem too thin where she is concerned!

Thanks for your tribute.